Tuesday 23 March 2010

Blocked

It's been quite a while since I have written a word on this blog and I apologize for leaving my readers hanging in such a short time. I didn't leave by choice I left by this ill-will that attacked me in December, November, or perhaps a later month. This ill-will had taken over my soul, heart, mind, and body. It came over me like a blanket, that blanket that covered me head to toe and still was able to breathe. I fought this ill-will for a long time and now have come back powerful and strong. I will not let anything stand in my way. Not even this literature that is my enemy.
I know that literature should not be my enemy, but I do not enjoy it at no degree. I do enjoy Children's Literature and I do read that, but not the other kind. I must also say that I try to pick up a work of literature sometimes and read it, but I do not manage to finish it. I know I am a writer and literature should be my friend, but lets just say that literature is not my true enemy. It's that enemy that harms my soul and heart, but not my mind. I do read it because I learn from it and if its good I enjoy it; otherwise, I put it down.
NOTE: MY READERS WHO ARE LITERATURE LOVERS. I'M SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOU IN ANY WAY. FORGIVE ME! I AM NOT AGAINST LITERATURE, SO DO CONTINUE TO READ ME AND FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS. JUST DON'T HATE ME.

Now that I'm back, I would like to leave some tips for those writers who have blocks.

1: Read a book that has inspired you to write. For me, it was the Spiderwick Chronicles, books by Avi, Misfits Inc., R.L. Stine, Deltora Quest, and many others. Sometimes a movie or a television show inspires to write stories. Go watch them. Then after you have read that book or watched that movie, write something. Anything. Just to get those words flowing.

2: Write whatever comes to your mind. Write anything. Everything. It could be repeated words such as, "I am blocked. I am blocked. I can't think of anything to write..." this could help you overcome those hurdles that are blocking the tracks from your heart to your fingers. Keeping you from writing.

3: Do something else. Garden. Read. Watch movies. Watch television shows. Hang out with your friends. Keep yourself away from writing for some time. That will give you space to see how much writing matters to you. It will automatically bring you back to your keyboard or pencil after some number of days away from the thing that matters to you the most in your life. This tip has worked for me. It has never gone wrong.

4: Think about what drives you to write. Ask yourself: why do I write? What brings me to this keyboard? This pencil? What makes me pour my mind and heart onto this screen, this keyboard, and leave me feeling relaxed. Simply just think about why you wanted to write in the first place. That should get something jogging.

Hope these tips help you as they have helped me in the past and hopefully will help me in the future. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment