Monday 26 March 2012

The Lovely Shoes

Franny's, the protagonist, one leg is longer than the other and she is not happy with the shoes she has to wear. Franny's mother, on the other hand, has a great selection of shoes and an impeccable taste in clothes and that's because she doesn't have the same problem as her daughter. However, Franny starts to pity herself after the dance incident occurs. She locks herself up in her room and mopes. Then her mother finds an ad in the paper about Signor Ferragamo who has the solution to her shoe problem. Franny's trip to Italy changes her life.

I admit I am not too happy with the book. The author, Susan Shreve, does pull some of the incidents from her life, but not all of them. I despised reading the part about her moping about herself in her room. I just wanted to slap her and tell her, 'get a life.' In the whole self-pity period, the story was flat. Come to think of it, most of the story was flat. The story became interesting once Franny went to Italy and had some stylish shoes custom made, but other than that the story was flat.

I think one needs a taste for books like these because I sure don't have the taste. I like reading lots of girly/chick-lit books but this one was just, ehh. So I leave it up to you to decide whether you want to read it or not because I sure am not going to say you should or shouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment